Growing on me... Part III
In my earlier entries, I wrote about my recent cell phone shopping experience, including a detailed description on the difficult mental journey I took to arrive at the currently decision. A few more days has passed again, and now I can say that I am a proud owner of the new Motorola SLVR L7.
I already shared the rich feature list of the L7, but what I wanted to discuss here is the mental journey *after* I made that purchase decision. You may laugh at how buying some electronic accessory has become so personal to me, but please understand that it wasn't set out to be that way. I normally see electronics just as they are, but one's cell phone is with you almost every minute of your waking moment, it has become one of the default things you take with you anywhere, aside from your house and car keys. It has become a necessity in our modern lifestyle. For me, it has attained the status of a very very "personal item".
This is the brief story of how my L7 became my "companion".
===
I was initially very excited about the phone, partly due to the feature list and it's slimness, but also partly due to the hype about it since it just newly launched in the US. I don't want a phone that looks silver and does not stand out in a crowd, a generic tool that every one has a similar copy of, I desire a phone that also makes a statement!
However, somewhere along the way, I accidentally set my eyes upon a pink Panasonic VS2 phone which totally took my breath away. I fell in luv instantly with the VS2 and left the L7 on the back burner. All the cool features that used to excite me about the L7 is no longer that impressive, it just became dull in comparison to the VS2, which would make a BRILLIANT statement in public.
After some struggles, I arrived at the difficult but inevitable decision of the L7 because of some deal-breaking lack of features on the VS2. Even when I brought the L7, it was not the "luved" one, it was just the "chosen" one. I think it's better than the other mediocre choices I had, and if I can't have the one I luv, then I will have to settle for the second best. I don't "luv" the L7, but I will use it as an essential tool.
But in the past few days, once I spent some time customizing the phone, upload pictures and MP3s, discovered how crystal clear the sound is, and how it delivers solid phone reception, I've started to warm up to it again. The L7 has started to slowly re-gain my affections. I started to like the feel of it in my hand, notice the slimness of the casing, and even re-appreciate the convenience of the "candy bar" form factor. The time I spent using/customizing the L7 has made it more of a personal item to me. To me, it's not longer any other L7, it's MY L7 now. The fact that there is no VS2 nearby to steal my attention away or to compare the slimness with really helped me to re-focus on the L7 at hand.
The L7 has started to grow on me again! Will it morph into a different type of "luv" at the end? and do I still believe in Amor vincit omnia??? only time can tell!
I already shared the rich feature list of the L7, but what I wanted to discuss here is the mental journey *after* I made that purchase decision. You may laugh at how buying some electronic accessory has become so personal to me, but please understand that it wasn't set out to be that way. I normally see electronics just as they are, but one's cell phone is with you almost every minute of your waking moment, it has become one of the default things you take with you anywhere, aside from your house and car keys. It has become a necessity in our modern lifestyle. For me, it has attained the status of a very very "personal item".
This is the brief story of how my L7 became my "companion".

===
I was initially very excited about the phone, partly due to the feature list and it's slimness, but also partly due to the hype about it since it just newly launched in the US. I don't want a phone that looks silver and does not stand out in a crowd, a generic tool that every one has a similar copy of, I desire a phone that also makes a statement!
However, somewhere along the way, I accidentally set my eyes upon a pink Panasonic VS2 phone which totally took my breath away. I fell in luv instantly with the VS2 and left the L7 on the back burner. All the cool features that used to excite me about the L7 is no longer that impressive, it just became dull in comparison to the VS2, which would make a BRILLIANT statement in public.
After some struggles, I arrived at the difficult but inevitable decision of the L7 because of some deal-breaking lack of features on the VS2. Even when I brought the L7, it was not the "luved" one, it was just the "chosen" one. I think it's better than the other mediocre choices I had, and if I can't have the one I luv, then I will have to settle for the second best. I don't "luv" the L7, but I will use it as an essential tool.
But in the past few days, once I spent some time customizing the phone, upload pictures and MP3s, discovered how crystal clear the sound is, and how it delivers solid phone reception, I've started to warm up to it again. The L7 has started to slowly re-gain my affections. I started to like the feel of it in my hand, notice the slimness of the casing, and even re-appreciate the convenience of the "candy bar" form factor. The time I spent using/customizing the L7 has made it more of a personal item to me. To me, it's not longer any other L7, it's MY L7 now. The fact that there is no VS2 nearby to steal my attention away or to compare the slimness with really helped me to re-focus on the L7 at hand.

The L7 has started to grow on me again! Will it morph into a different type of "luv" at the end? and do I still believe in Amor vincit omnia??? only time can tell!





6 Comments:
hi winifred! it's so hard keeping up with your blog b/c it's not on xanga...but it looks a lot nicer on blogspot. =)
Not to burst your bubble but the people in this thread take the opposite stance:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937130
er opposite stance that cell phones make statements in public beyond an egoistic statement designed to draw attention to oneself.
Heh.
Anyhow enjoy your new phone - what tones did you get for it?
aiya! .. everyone has shoes, wallets, and clothing, but some of them just stand out more.
"I desire a phone that also makes a statement" - that's so asian.
coming from an Asian and an electronics freak, isn't that a bit hypocritical? ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home