Canova marbles - LOVE in art
Since I am on the topic of art, I would like to dedicate an entry to a particular piece of art work that makes my heart sing with appreciation.
Canova marble statue of "Cupid and Psyche" version 1, at the Louvre, Paris.

When I first walked through the neoclassical sculpture section of the Louvre, I already know that I liked sculptures from this time period, but when I set my eyes on this particular piece of art work, I felt my heart skipped a beat and was totally enthralled by the beauty of it. Words cannot describe the intense feelings I experienced when I saw it, I was completely stunned. I was especially striked by the wingspan of Cupid, which, together with Psyche's up reaching arms, formed a near perfect X-shape. The design and the composition of this piece is unrivaled in my eyes. And the smoothness and the perfection of the bodies makes one wonder if this piece of stone had a life of it's own. That is taking sculpture art to the highest level. I enjoyed this piece more than the big 3 at the Louvre, it's my favourite piece of art work at the Louvre! And the myth of "Cupid and Psyche" is another reason that has enshrouded this piece in immense beauty, sadness, and romance! I even dragged my bf at the time back just to see it a week later when he arrived in Paris.

(see reference on other marble statues)(and Bulfinch's version of Greek mythology online version)

When I first walked through the neoclassical sculpture section of the Louvre, I already know that I liked sculptures from this time period, but when I set my eyes on this particular piece of art work, I felt my heart skipped a beat and was totally enthralled by the beauty of it. Words cannot describe the intense feelings I experienced when I saw it, I was completely stunned. I was especially striked by the wingspan of Cupid, which, together with Psyche's up reaching arms, formed a near perfect X-shape. The design and the composition of this piece is unrivaled in my eyes. And the smoothness and the perfection of the bodies makes one wonder if this piece of stone had a life of it's own. That is taking sculpture art to the highest level. I enjoyed this piece more than the big 3 at the Louvre, it's my favourite piece of art work at the Louvre! And the myth of "Cupid and Psyche" is another reason that has enshrouded this piece in immense beauty, sadness, and romance! I even dragged my bf at the time back just to see it a week later when he arrived in Paris.

"Here is one of the most poignant statements of love in art. The subject comes from the story of Cupid and Psyche. In the last chapter, Psyche falls into an eternal slumber, and Cupid, unable to witness the death of his only love, flies down from Olympus to wake Psyche with a kiss. It is this moment that Canova chose for this sculpture--that moment when love is most triumphant.
This work of art is particularly striking because the intertwining nature of the composition. As he reaches down to her , she reaches up to him—deliberately emphasizing the unifying nature of love."
(see reference on other marble statues)(and Bulfinch's version of Greek mythology online version)





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home