"Our chestnut tree is in full blossom"
I luv reading books, especially if they are easy reads that I can just finish in a day or two. Last week, I came across a Chinese copy of "Anne Frank" a.k.a. "The Diary of A Young Girl" at the local library, since the original was probably written in Dutch, it doesn't matter so much if I read it in English or Chinese.Interesting thing is that the week before, I started on "Prozac nation" but didn't really go beyond chapter two. I just couldn't stand that girl in the book, I don't understand how she can think in such negative ways, especially when she's considered from an "average dysfunctional family". (side note: I guess nowadays, most of your average American families can qualify for the description of "dysfunctional" to a certain extent, such as the Simpson's)...
Reading Anne's diary is a completely different matter. The perspective from this 13-15 year old teenage girl is of such stark contrast to the likes of E. W. of "Prozac Nation" generation. This book is about perseverence during times of hardship, finding hope and joy amongst desparity and losses.
When I first toured the "Anne Frank" Museum in Amsterdam in 2004, I have never read the book. From the guidebook I gathered information about why this old house holds extraordinary values, and why there is a long line wrapping around the corner. It's with that mind set I toured the house, mentally comparing it to a run-down old aptment at the Tenent Museum in NYC, or Ellis Island. However, now that I have finished reading this book, I cannot even begin to comprehend the loneliness and the suffercation Anne experienced in her early teenage years. To be virtually locked up in this space with 7 others for over 25 months, not able to step outside or even make a lot of noises, constantly living in fear, in consideration of the others, in hopes of the war ending ... I can only imagine (beyond imagine) of the fear and loneliness she had to live with. However, it's the positive tone of the her diary that makes this book a worthy read. It's not another account of the horror of that time period, but it's educational value is in the hope that this little girl has, her inner-strength that shines through at this extreme time of difficulty.
In comparison, at least the beginning of the book PN focuses solely on the discomforte (somewhat self-induced, if I may add) of a selfish girl, who ignores the love from family and friends, and just feels sorry for herself. Especially since I took up AF on Saturday and finished it in 10 hours, I just really couldn't bear going on reading PN.... They should make AF the required reading at school and for young kids who are depressed, I bet it will work much better than Prozac or Lithium!!
-----
Quotes from the Diary
Anne Frank wrote the following entries about the chestnut tree in her diary:
23 February 1944
The two of us looked out at the blue sky, the bare chestnut tree glistening with dew, the seagulls and other birds glinting with silver as they swooped through the air, and we were so moved and entranced that we couldn’t speak.
18 April 1944
April is glorious, not too hot and not too cold, with occasional light showers. Our chestnut tree is in leaf, and here and there you can already see a few small blossoms.
13 May 1944
Our chestnut tree is in full blossom. It is covered with leaves and is even more beautiful than last year.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home