Friday, August 08, 2008

China 2008 Olympics

I just came home from watching the opening ceremony of the China 2008 Olympics. wow, I have to admit that I was so impressed, especially by director Zhang Yi Mou's colorful and dream like designs of the 千变万化的 configurations.

I was never really into the Olympics before, even though I was in BJ earlier this year, saw the outside of the "birds' nest" structure. I still was not really excited about this whole thing, being not particularly athletic myself. However, I accepted an invitation to watch the opening ceremony @ Paula&Vicki's place tonight, mostly because I have to get up early tomorrow morning for the Whitewater rafting trip up in Sacramento and couldn't really do much else that allows me to get back early enough to sleep.

I actually missed the first 30 min. or so of the ceremony, however, what I did see made me so proud to be a Chinese, well, Chinese-American at this point. I totally see the benefit of "eminent domain". The fact that China can just shutdown factories to control air polution; discourage travel into BJ around this time frame; rally tens of thousands of people to perform, yet probably with no insurance/much pay.... all this puts the doubt in my mind about the absolute necessity for individual's human rights....

that's just my personal opinion, please don't throw rotten tomatos at me.. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home