Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Missions

This past summer, I had the opportunity to participate in the GrX summer 2005 mission trip to Mongolia. Last night, my church held a formal debriefing meeting for all the summer teams. Below is my short segment of presentation specifically on our orphanage visit experience:

"
Before I begin, I wanted to let you know that in the prayer/support letters I sent out to family and friends, I stated that I want God to show me "passion" and "compassion" for others, this was more than answered sufficiently by God our Holy Father.

On the Thursday afternoon before our summer English camp came to an end, we were given the opportunity to help out at a local orphanage in UB. "orphanage" is a very foreign word to me, not that I don't know what it means, but the thought of going there never occurred to me. That was, until we were in Mongolia this summer.

This is a first experience not only for the missionaries, but also for our college aged students since most of them came from a middle class background. As soon as we arrived, the American director explained to us the history and background of the various current social problems in Mongolia, leading up to the establishment of this donation-funded orphange by a couple from North Carolina. This particular orphange has 30+ toddlers waiting for adoption. Immediately, the girls were sent to work the interior while the guys helped cleaning the garden/playground area. [After we came back, I was able to see Collin's picture of the same playground from last year, one can already see that the help from various missionary groups have made a huge impact on the appearance of this facility.]

After the chores are done, everyone eagerly went upstairs to play with the kids, I was able to take pictures that recorded many touching moments, including several shots of our "toughest" macho-men "kooing" with the babies. =) I think we all have in our human nature the tendency to want to help and protect the weak. Our faith, hope and love for God, our desire to help the unreached, these are the ultimate meaning for us to go on missions. And for me, it's all reflected in this one act, in the self-less kindness we've shown by cradling the babies in our arms, to help to care and to love them.

This trip is an opportunity for God to demonstrate His omnipotent love *through* us, it is the way that He used us to care for the less fortunate. One of our students came up to me afterwards and thanked us for arranging this trip. Because the students rarely participate in community projects over there, and this is an eye opening experience for them as well. This is indeed one of the most touching moments during my trip, and also a profound lesson of love, passion and compassion that I have learned, through people, through God's beloved children.
"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home