Quantity < Quality
Hanging out after church service has always been one of those "hit or miss" for me. What I meant by that is, some times I get to see friends whom I haven't talked to for a while, and we do catch up, have meaningful conversations, and really do care about what happens in each other's lives; other times, when I search the crowd but don't see anyone I feel close to, or if I am running around doing "errands" (ie. returning stuff, hand off stuff, setup, then I don't really get to have "real" conversations.
Since last week, GrX started a class of in-depth bible study on 1 John. I am really enjoying it as I've been longing for strong spiritual leadership in bible study, as well as quality discussion topics with friends. Apparently, I am not alone in how I feel about this "quatity" vs "quanlity" face time issue.
pandy was in my discussion group, and he mentioned that every Sunday, if he can have one meaningful conversation with someone, then he's satisfied in his spiritual hunger for fellowship. There's an unspoken rule that in casual social settings, one is supposed to "rotate" amongst the crowd every 2 minutes. But he'd much prefer to really converse with one or two individuals instead of waving ten "Hello"s after service. wow, well, this makes my meaningful conversation this Sunday. =)
Meanwhile, in a totally separate conversation, fj also mentioned the same topic in regards to small groups. "I'd much prefer to have 5-7 dedicated people rather than 12 non-consistent 'floaters' in my small group. I think in the beginning, consistency is key in getting to know people beyond the initial familiarity stage." Truly words of wisdom .
I am sure God will bless you regarding the future direction of the SG!
Since last week, GrX started a class of in-depth bible study on 1 John. I am really enjoying it as I've been longing for strong spiritual leadership in bible study, as well as quality discussion topics with friends. Apparently, I am not alone in how I feel about this "quatity" vs "quanlity" face time issue.
pandy was in my discussion group, and he mentioned that every Sunday, if he can have one meaningful conversation with someone, then he's satisfied in his spiritual hunger for fellowship. There's an unspoken rule that in casual social settings, one is supposed to "rotate" amongst the crowd every 2 minutes. But he'd much prefer to really converse with one or two individuals instead of waving ten "Hello"s after service. wow, well, this makes my meaningful conversation this Sunday. =)
Meanwhile, in a totally separate conversation, fj also mentioned the same topic in regards to small groups. "I'd much prefer to have 5-7 dedicated people rather than 12 non-consistent 'floaters' in my small group. I think in the beginning, consistency is key in getting to know people beyond the initial familiarity stage." Truly words of wisdom .
I am sure God will bless you regarding the future direction of the SG!Labels: Christian





1 Comments:
coffee shop 'dates' are useful for arranging time for one-on-one conversations ... just not in Starbucks ... heh.
Post a Comment
<< Home