To Help Others is to Help Yourself
Remember the saying "what goes around, comes around"? I got to experience this in a very personal way today.
I had to wait for 3+ hrs at traffic court this afternoon, thanks to my last name. I noticed that the violation time between my last ticket and this one is 17.5 months, just 10+ days short of the 18 months regulation by the DMV which will prevent me from taking traffic school. I silently rehearsed my lines and hoping against hope that the judge will take pity on me and authorize me to take traffic school for point reduction so insurance on my new car wouldn't climb steeply.
While I was waiting, the court appointed Mandarin translator failed to show up and thus a lady was turned away for another appearance. I quietly asked the sheriff if I may be of assistance, and sure enough, I was sworn in and it took less than 5 minutes to explain the rules to the defendent. This was a big help for the lady because it saved her another trip back to the court, but it took very little effort from my part. I was really glad to be of service.
By the time I stood in front of the judge, he said "young lady, you did yourself a favor, I am going to waive your fine." and he also let me take the traffic school to reduce my point! This was totally unexpected since I didn't offer my help hoping for anything in return.
Today's experience is a profound lesson for me: Some times, you are really helping yourself when you extend a sympathetic hand to others. Some times God asks us to go a little out of our way for His cause, and He in return blesses us by multi-fold. The key is that first we have to be obedient because He is the ultimate visionary.
- Amen!
I had to wait for 3+ hrs at traffic court this afternoon, thanks to my last name. I noticed that the violation time between my last ticket and this one is 17.5 months, just 10+ days short of the 18 months regulation by the DMV which will prevent me from taking traffic school. I silently rehearsed my lines and hoping against hope that the judge will take pity on me and authorize me to take traffic school for point reduction so insurance on my new car wouldn't climb steeply.
While I was waiting, the court appointed Mandarin translator failed to show up and thus a lady was turned away for another appearance. I quietly asked the sheriff if I may be of assistance, and sure enough, I was sworn in and it took less than 5 minutes to explain the rules to the defendent. This was a big help for the lady because it saved her another trip back to the court, but it took very little effort from my part. I was really glad to be of service.
By the time I stood in front of the judge, he said "young lady, you did yourself a favor, I am going to waive your fine." and he also let me take the traffic school to reduce my point! This was totally unexpected since I didn't offer my help hoping for anything in return.
Today's experience is a profound lesson for me: Some times, you are really helping yourself when you extend a sympathetic hand to others. Some times God asks us to go a little out of our way for His cause, and He in return blesses us by multi-fold. The key is that first we have to be obedient because He is the ultimate visionary.
- Amen!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home